Building My First Lumia Projector
I have always been interested in lighting as a theatrical effect and I discovered Lumia lighting during my effort to design an optimal performance entertainment lighting system. I experimented with several types of lighting effects of which the best ones became part of my master light show projection system. After several months of playing with Lumia lighting I was ready to build a full-on performance-based Lumia projector. I had envisioned using a Krypton laser as a light engine because this type of laser has a multi0color output of red, blue and green light which would have been a perfect spectra for my Lumia projector. Imagine my surprise when I priced said laser device and found to my horror its cost started at about $60,000 and just sky rocketed from there.
Hmmm, no Krypton laser for me and back to the drawing board. This financial snafu became the incentive to return to my earlier Lumia experiments and build a Lumia projector via COTS Commercial Off The Shelf) product accessibility. My new light source: three incandescent flashlights. The flashlights were cannibalized with the lighting component (flashlight bulb and reflector) separated from the flashlight case. Each flashlight component was mounted as an independent lighting unit in the Lumia projection cabinet and transformed from a DC to an AC power source. Each light was covered with a theatrical gel (red, blue and green), mounted next to the corresponding Lumia device and wired back to a control console that provided varying brightness levels to control the illumination levels of the Lumia. Total cost of the new Lumia was about $30.00 – $40.00, if that much.
Once done, the new Lumia projetor was set for its first official run through. The system would perform against Santana’s Abraxas CD. This was exciting as it would become an addition to my already existing light projection system including some Kodak slide projectors (back in the day), a (Helium Neon) laser, a few crystal projectors and a few other visual effects I had.
The house lights in my little theater space were turned off, music was turned on, I switched the Lumia projector on and BANG! a flash of bright light and suddenly my Lumia control board was on fire. I watched the flames shoot up out if the control board and thought, :”wow this is gonna be fun. ” I had crossed or shorted a circuit somehow in wiring it together. Oh well, lesson learned. Needless to say, everything got cleaned up and rebuilt and on to the next go-round – worked like a charm.
I went on to build many more refined Lumia projectors of varying kinds and have now graduated to computer controlled, high brightness LED illuminated Lumia projectors which are used in varying performance situations.